Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Western States Dedication

Both of my brothers are very special to me. In some ways we are quite different but what lays deep inside our hearts is the same. My older brother is smart and logical while my younger brother is outgoing and personable leaving me as quiet and somewhat shy. Though we have different personalities each of the three of us is willing to take risks in order to experience the most out of life.

While I believe in stability I also believe that there are times when risk must be considered for it is the only way to improve the quality of my life. My brothers recently demonstrated through their own actions that they too share this same quality that I possess. I was very proud of both as each made critical decisions that will change their lives forever.

My older brother, at 43 years of age, had hip replacement surgery. He easily could have opted for physical therapy which ultimately would have allowed him to function normally but restricted physical activity. As an active guy this was not an option so he took the risk associated with surgery and gambled that a new hip would allow him to once again participate actively in sports. Since the surgery was recent the verdict is still out but I have no doubt that he will follow the guidance given to him, work hard and successfully regain strength.

My younger brother recently accepted a position with a new company after 12 years of service with his previous employer. In his case he had to take the risk for the challenge set before him was not enough to satisfy his needs. That being said he easily could have made the choice to stay with his old employer. His reputation was solid, he gained the respect of his peers, and he loved his work. He stepped out of his comfort zone because he looks beyond what is expected of him and desires to make a better life for him and his family. Comfort comes from stability which most desire yet in order to improve sometimes risks must be taken and risks lead to discomfort.

Both of my brothers have risked their own comfort in order to improve their quality of life. They are good role models for me and for this I dedicate my race at Western States to both of them. They will both be successful and will ultimately reap the rewards from their risks. I hope that the risk I take at States will also reap similar rewards. As I've hobbled through my training runs I couldn't help but wonder if I even have any business being there. Though my leg says no my heart says yes and the heart has the final say.

Dave B.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Dave,

I am wishing you a wonderful race. I am sure with all the dedication and that big heart of yours you will blaze through the fields which you love so much!

I'll be watching you!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home