Monday, January 22, 2007

Why I love to run 100 milers


Often I find myself saying that I need to be in love and that I’ve wasted too much time but in reality I already am in love. I’m not in love with a particular person, place or thing but rather I’m in love with what the world has to offer. What better way to experience the world than to travel both day and night on foot through the mountains, along the river banks and under the sun, moon and stars. I’m asked all of the time “why do you feel the urge to put your body in jeopardy as often as you do”? Why not is my reply? Why should I not experience everything while I have the opportunity to do so? I’m healthy, able and active and the world is there for me to see. The smallest things have the biggest impact and the best way to see those things is on foot. The world goes round so fast that most never take the time to experience those small things because they are so busy trying to attain fame or fortune or something else that provides only a short period of happiness. Take a minute to look in the sky above at the fluffy clouds or the million stars that light up the nighttime sky or a pretty sunset. Imagine an encounter with wildlife that most only see in magazines. A herd of deer grazing in the fields or an elk peeking between the trees or for those that are most blessed the opportunity to view a big cat in the distance staring deep into your eyes as you run. Opportunities like these are what fairytales are made about. I can assure you that even though you can’t pay your bills with the feeling that you will get it is worth more than any amount of money and it will last forever. I never imagined that at the age of 42 I would still be running through mud puddles, creeks and overtop of rocks and up and down mountains. Despite what some think I am nothing but a regular person but I am a regular person with a little boy’s heart.

I am not alone for there are many out there who take the time to enjoy the world as I do. These people run ahead of me, behind me and by my side. The world is a different place because we are one. We relate, we understand, we sacrifice and we help one another accomplish our goals. Yes there is competitiveness and it can be fierce at times but ultimately we share common goals. We are there to have fun, to experience nature and to ultimately expand our horizons and push ourselves to limits unimaginable to the outside world. The hardest thing I’ve ever done is explaining why I love to run. I am in my element, it’s where I thrive, and I’m uninhibited and have no pain. There is no fear or intimidation from others but only confidence and positive vibes. If this is indeed a dream that I’m living I honestly hope that I never wake up.

Standing to the left of me in the image above is a person that I consider the best colleague that I have ever had the pleasure of guiding in my 17+ years as a supervisor. This coming Friday will be his last day as an employee of the particular business unit I am associated with as he will be moving on to bigger and better things. He is a smart guy and hard worker as well as a person who helped me immensely in creating and designing my website into what it is today. He's humble and refuses to be credited for his creative designs but today as a form of recognition I place his picture on my blog for all to see.


Dave

2 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

As a runner with a little girl's heart, I'm honored to run behind you!

Best of luck to your friend....sounds like you have wonderful memories to think back on.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

i have just been thinking of that the other day while running and passing other runners...that there is something that we all share, something that connects all of us runners, even though we are all by ourselves. Maybe we all search for something out there that we can't find in our every day life, something more, something more valuable then making a living and paying for the bread. probably it's just as simple as to be in the purest form there is.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home